If you have been following my journey, you will know at around 32 weeks my midwife discovered Baby Hunt was growing a little on the large size through a physical examination.
I was tested for Gestational Diabetes, but my results came back negative. [read about this here]
I was then booked in for a growth scan at 36 weeks which confirmed Baby Hunt weighed approximately 7lb 6. *Note this is just their prediction.
I am afraid to say that Sam and I had a really unpleasant experience with two consultants after this scan, who suggested an induction at 39 weeks, a possible c-section if the baby grew much bigger, and not only that told us that if we didn’t we may put our baby at risk of dystocia.
Dystocia is known as obstructed labour, even though the uterus is contracting normally, the baby does not exit the pelvis during childbirth due to being physically blocked.
We were informed that complications for the larger sized baby included having its shoulders fractured or broken, nerve damage and not getting enough oxygen, which may result in death.
Although Sam and I had been really clued up about this kind of scare mongering on our wonderful KGHynobirthing course with Katharine Graves, to be faced with this situation still gave us a huge wobble.
We had a healthcare professional sitting in front of us telling us we may risk our babies life!
After this I was asked what I wanted to do, as I didn’t feel this was the right time to be making any suggestions (as I had been given little evidence to suggest that our baby would continue to grow large), I said I would still like a natural birth and to continue my plan.
I was horrified when the male consultant sniggered at me like I had no clue what I was talking about.
We managed to push for another growth scan at 38 weeks.
During this time we used it wisely to speak well informed professionals. The first person (and I am honoured to say this) to give me sensible, reassuring and factual advice was Katharine Graves from the KGHynobirthing course.
During our conversation Katharine made it clear that she was furious with the treatment we had received from the consultant. She reassured me that dystocia could also happen if a baby is too small, due to its position perhaps not being correct and that having a big baby was not really a bad thing. Being the wonderful woman she is – she spent time reassuring me that my birth is my decision and I shouldn’t be bullied into anything I don’t want to do, unless there is a clear medical reason. In this case there is not.
She advised that I also spoke with Kemi, who was the independent midwife on our KGH course. Kemi is one in a million, her knowledge about birth and babies is extraordinary and I could guarantee there is not a lot she doesn’t know in this field.
Kemi also advised me that there was no reason I couldn’t have a natural birth and explained that she has delivered a 12lb baby before with no problems and not even an episiotomy!
To top it off Katharine offered to visit me whilst she happened to be in Suffolk.
I was completely overwhelmed, as not only did the KGH course give me such confidence and powerful tools, it was really touching to see it didn’t just stop there at this weekend course. The support has been ongoing, which shows that these two amazing women really do it for the love of it.
I enjoyed my time with Katharine and I was so happy that my mum also got to spend some time with her… in fact my mum has raved about Katharine ever since!
Finally (as my midwife was on holiday) luck had it that I met Michelle Howard, who is one of the PMA’s pregnancy midwife advisors in my area. Being clued up on hynobirthing herself, once she found out about my situation she got in touch with the leader of the midwife lead birthing unit and Norfolk and Norwich.
So during my next growth scan on week 38, rather than seeing this male consultant again, I met with Tracey Miller.
Once again she couldn’t have been more supportive. She listened and spent a long time with us reassuring us that our birth was our choice and there would be no problem having me on the ward. She spoke about how they dealt with dystocia and again reassured us this could be handled.
The outcome of it all. I am now waiting until 40 weeks where by if nothing has happened by then I will meet with my community midwife to discuss things again.
For now I am happy and relaxed that I am being left alone to my my own decisions.
I’d like to say a big thank you to Katharine, Kemi, Michelle and Tracey! All amazing women!
Remember ladies, don’t be bullied, take the time to look into the situation and go with your gut!